"The Chakras are spinning wheels of energy that when healthy, keep your body, mind and soul in balance. "
The word chakra refers to energy. The chakra system consists of seven connected energies in the body. In Sanskrit, chakra means ‘wheel’. The chakras are spinning wheels of energy. These energies make a way up starting at the bottom/base of our spine (root chakra), through our lower abdomen (sacral chakra), upper abdomen (solar plexus chakra), centre of the chest (heart chakra), throat (throat chakra), forehead between the eyes (third eye chakra) and finish at the top of the head (crown chakra).
What are the chakras good for?
The chakras help you connect your mind, body and soul, and liberate your spirit to manifest your dreams. Knowing how each chakra influences your state of being helps you:
Ground and centre your energy
Open, close and balance your sexuality
Increase personal power and energy
Open your heart to love and compassion
Develop your intuition
Expand your overall awareness
When one of the chakras is not working properly or blocked, we can get sick, feel down, get depressed or get injured. For example: if we eat processed food, we lack ‘healthy’ energy. If we do not ‘show’ our feelings, we do not speak our truth. If we are tired, but go to a friend’s party because you promised, you ignore your bodily needs. Even when you think you are living your ‘healthiest’ life, we sometimes unconsciously hinder our healthy energy flow.
Let’s have a look at each chakra.
Root Chakra - Muladhara
to be here, to have
- Deals with: career, money mind-set and sense of belonging.
- Represents: feeling grounded\Colour: red
- Element: earth
- Location: bottom / base of the spine in the tailbone area
- Emotional matters: survival, financial independence, money, food
- Physical connexion: spine, rectum, legs, arms, circulatory system.
- Keep it healthy: daily exercise, seek security and create a safe space for yourself.
- Pose: tadasana/mountain
Sacral Chakra - Svadhistana
to feel, to want
- Deals with: sexuality and pleasure
- Represents: connection and ability to accept others and experiences
- Colour: orange
- Element: water
- Location: lower abdomen
- Emotional matters: sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality
- Physical connexion: reproductive organs, kidneys, bowels, immune system
- Keep it healthy: belly dancing, practising yoga, create loving partnerships, live your passion, follow your dreams
- Pose: baddha konasana /cobblers pose
Solar Chakra - Manipura
to do, to act
- Deals with: personal power and ability to channel
- Represents: ability to be confident and in control of our own life.
- Colour: yellow
- Element: fire
- Location: upper abdomen
- Emotional matters: self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
- Physical connexion: central nervous system, liver, digestive tract, skin.
- Keep it healthy: stay in control of your destiny and happiness and listen to your bodily, mental and emotional needs.
- Pose: parsvottanasana hasta parivrtta trikonasana/revolved pyramid
Heart Chakra - Anahata
to love and beloved
- Deals with: love, relationships and self-acceptance
- Represents: ability to love
- Colour: green
- Element: air
- Location: centre of the chest, heart area
- Emotional matters: love, joy, inner peace.
- Physical connexion: heart, thymus, lower lungs, circulatory system, immune system
- Keep it healthy: maintaining healthy relationships with your family, friends and partners, yourself, be open to receive love.
- Pose: uttana shishosana/puppy pose
Throat Chakra -Vishuddha
to speak, to be heard
- Deals with: self-expression
- Represents: ability to communicate
- Colour: blue
- Element: ether
- Location: throat
- Emotional matters: communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth
- Physical connexion: thyroid, respiratory system, teeth, vocal cords
- Keep it healthy: singing, chanting and breathing exercises, practise speaking the truth
- Pose: salamba sarvangasana/shoulderstand
Third Eye Chakra - Ajna
“I am the witness”
- Deals with: Intuition, sense of purpose and your direction in life
- Represents: our ability to focus on and see the big picture
- Colour: indigo
- Element: ether
- Location: forehead between the eyes
- Emotional matters: intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions
- Physical connexion: pituitary gland (master gland), eyes, sinuses
- Keep it healthy: meditation and visualization exercises, be open to your inner guidance, listen to your thoughts.
- Pose: balasana/child’s pose
Crown Chakra - Sahasrara | “I am that I am”.
- Deals with: connection to the divine
- Represents: our ability to be fully connected spirituality
- Colour: violet
- Element: ether
- Location: top of the head
- Emotional matters: inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss
- Physical connexion: pineal gland, brain, nervous system
- Keep it healthy: meditating on your chakras, listen to what your body is trying to tell you, visualize the colours of the chakra and understanding what they need to spin in a healthy way, filling your body with health, wisdom, and light
- Pose: salamba Sirsasana/headstand
115 thoughts on “What are the Chakras?”